River Irt (0-8-2)
Year of Build: 1894
Built in 1894 by Sir Arthur Heywood, the locomotive, originally known as 'Muriel', worked at the Eaton Hall Railway at the turn of the 19th Century. It is believed the loco saw service at the munitions factory in Gretna, before arriving at Ravenglass in 1917; where it was rebuilt in 1927 and renamed 'River Irt'. Its appearance was improved in the 1970s with the addition of a taller chimney and its performance enhanced with a new, larger boiler. The tender was rebuilt in 2006.
River Esk (2-8-2)
Year of Build: 1923
Designed by Henry Greenly and built in 1923 by Davey Paxman of Colchester, the locomotive was equally at home hauling trains of heavy stone, or the increasingly busy passenger services. The valve gear was replaced in 1928 and for a brief period a steam tender was added. A new tender was added in 1970. For many years painted green, the loco is currently in black livery.
River Mite (2-8-2)
Year of Build: 1966
Owned by the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway Preservation Society, River Mite was built by Clarkson's of York in 1966, making use of the old steam tender from River Esk. Similar in appearance to River Esk, features such as the cab and running boards distinguish the two locos, although River Mite's distinctive Indian Red livery (from the old Furness Railway) is the greatest clue to its identity. The loco made history when it was hauled by traction engine from York to Ravenglass.
Northern Rock (2-6-2)
Year of Build: 1976
Built in the workshops at Ravenglass to the design of the then chief engineer, Ian Smith, Northern Rock first saw service in 1976. So successful was the design that two further locomotives were commissioned for use in a tourist park in Japan. The loco has always carried the Muscat Green with red, dark green and white lining of the Highland Railway.
The Railway is home to additional locomotives which for varying reasons are not in regular service. Of these Synolda, built in 1912 by Bassett-Lowke, can usually be viewed in the museum. Essentially identical to the first 15" gauge locomotives that worked on the railway during and after the First World War, she was rescued from Belle View Zoo in 1978, fully restored and painted in the livery of Narrow Gauge Railways Ltd. Synolda is one of our oldest loco's and celebrated her 100th birthday in December 2012.
Bonnie Dundee is