28th November 2020 to 29th November 2020, 5th December 2020 to 6th December 2020, 12th December 2020 to 13th December 2020, 19th December 2020 to 23rd December 2020
Our elves are hard at work getting our tickets ready for this year's event, in the meantime you can sign up to our Mailing List to ensure that you are the first to know when tickets go on sale! Just click the 'Book Online' button below to sign up! Full details of the event are:
What to expect...
This year our Santa Express event will look much more different than in previous years! We want to make sure that we are keeping our staff and customers safe so please bear that in mind when you book your tickets! Understandably things will be a little different this year but we are proud to be offering you a Santa Experience that will get you into the Christmas Spirit for 2020!
From the time you purchase your tickets to actually visiting us we will be constantly monitoring the government guidelines to ensure we remain compliant. We reserve the right to make subtle changes to what may happen on the day. Please be assured if we think the event contravenes the guidelines or the experience will be jeopardised by changes to guidelines and is unable to go ahead you will receive a full refund.
All journeys will start from Ravenglass. Before you board your allocated seats the carriages will have been cleaned and sanitised by one of our Covid Champions.
There will be fewer passengers on each train than normal to enable social distancing to take place at Dalegarth station. We will be following the “Rule of 6” which is the maximum number of tickets available in one booking. We request that you follow the guidance relating to the Covid Alert level in the area that you live as to how that 6 may be made up. Do remember you can buy tickets for 2, 3,4,5 and 6 people!
1. Upon arrival at Ravenglass you will check in at the ticket office where you will be allocated a seat by our friendly station elf. Please make sure that you sit in this seat for both the outward and return legs of the journey.
2. Head over to the Turntable Café for a complimentary hot chocolate before the train leaves the station.
3. Take your seats and the train will depart at the allotted time and head straight to Dalegarth. Santa WILL NOT be getting on the train as he has done in previous years.
4. When you arrive at Dalegarth station you will be allocated a table in the café (either upstairs or downstairs) at which we ask you remain seated. Anyone who was not on the train will not be allowed entry to the station building.
5. There will be colouring activities, pencils and letter writing activities for the children at your table and entertainer and magician, Stu-Di-Doo, will also be there for lots of festive fun!
6. Festive refreshments will be delivered to your table by our hard-working café elves. If you have pre-booked a Festive Picnic Box this will be delivered to your table too.
7. We will then invite each table up one by one to head to Santa's Toy Workshop where you will meet him (at a safe social distance) and receive your present.
8. Once everyone has met Santa, customers will be invited to board the train again in the same seats that they were seated in on the way up.
9. The train will return to Ravenglass!
Times: 10:00, 11:40, 13:20 or 15:00
Child under 1 (no present and sitting on parent's knee): FREE
Child under 1 (present and sitting on parent's knee): £13.95
Child under 1 (present and an allocated seat): £22.50
Child 1-17: £22.50
There is also the opportunity for a limited number of tickets to upgrade to seats in our 1st Class or Pullman saloons £5.00 extra per person
We will be offering the chance for you to pre-book a Festive Picnic Box when you purchase your tickets that will then be delivered to your table in Dalegarth Station.
Child Meal: A choice of either pigs in blankets, chicken bites or falafel bites with chips £4.95
Adult Meal: Hot turkey roll with cranberry & stuffing, comes with pigs in blankets and dip £7.95
Adult Vegetarian Meal: Mushroom & leek pie with sweet pea & mint falafel bites and Cumberland sauce £7.95
Extra Chips £2.80
Extra Roast Potatoes £2.80
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to wear a face mask? Yes, you will be expected to wear face coverings unless you are a child under the age of 11 or exempt. Don’t worry though you won't be the only ones, Santa’s elves will be wearing them too!
- I am bringing a child under 1, do I need to buy them a ticket? There are a number of options for little ones. If you are happy for them to sit on a knee but would like them to receive a present from Santa there is a reduced charge. If you would like them to have a seat of their own and receive a gift we ask that you pay full price. If you do not wish for them to receive a present from Santa they can travel for free.
- Can I exchange my child's present? With millions of children in the world Santa does occasionally make mistakes with a present he has given someone. Please don’t be cross or grumpy - seek out one of his elves or a member of R&ER staff and the present can be exchanged. If you have any questions about what Santa may have in store for presents this year please contact our office either by email email@example.com or telephone 01229 717171
- If I am unable to attend due to illness will I get a refund? Of course you will!
- Are there baby changing facilities? Yes, there are baby changing facilities at Ravenglass and Dalegarth.
- Relatives have met us at Dalegarth in the past; can they do this in 2020? Only passengers who have travelled on the train can enter the station building at Dalegarth. This is to comply with track and trace and the strict limitation of numbers we have placed on the event. Anyone arriving at Dalegarth who has not travelled on the train will be turned away.
- I or someone in my party requires accessibility assistance what should I do? Please contact our office directly to make your booking. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us in advance.
- What happens if I miss my train? Due to capacity restrictions and track and trace requirements, we are unable to offer on the day changes to your ticket. Please speak to a member of staff on the day and we will do everything possible to assist you.
- Do I have to travel on the train specified? Yes
- Is there reserved seating? Yes you will be allocated specific seats on the train and you will be allocated to a specific table at Dalegarth.
- Can I order a Christmas dinner? Due to changes we have had to make, we are unable to offer a full Christmas dinner this year. You can order a Festive Picnic Box which will be brought to your table at Dalegarth.
- What happens when I arrive at Ravenglass? Please check in at our ticket office to receive your Santa ticket, your ticket will tell you where you are sitting on the train and enable you to get your complimentary hot chocolate from the Turntable Café before departure.
- What happens on the train? The train will be pulled by one of our historic steam engines up Eskdale Valley to Dalegarth.
- What happens at Dalegarth? You will be shown by our elves to your specially allocated table. Here you will receive a festive tipple or soft drink and a festive cake. You can pre-order a Festive Picnic Box to eat at the table too. From here when the time is right (and assuming you have been good!), you will be taken to see Santa in his Toy Workshop. You will be at Dalegarth for one hour giving all families a chance to see Santa. Don’t forget to bring your camera – you can take pictures in the Toy Workshop.