About the Job
We are seeking a customer focused and versatile individual to join our team at the Railway. You will provide a welcoming and efficient greeting for customers and visitors, dealing efficiently with their enquiries and always ensuring outstanding customer service.
Fixed Term/Seasonal Position: running between April and October with the potential to extend over the Christmas period.
We are looking to fill a position fixed days working Wednesday to Sunday every week.
Possible flexibility to spit between two part time roles.
Ability to drive preferable as job position is in Eskdale.
Wage: Living wage of £10.42.
Uniform: Please note some uniform will be provided but staff will be required to provide and wear black shoes, trousers and white shirt.
About Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway
The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway is one of a group of privately owned companies whose central office is located in Kendal, Cumbria. The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway operates a 15’ narrow gauge steam railway running from Ravenglass seven miles through the Eskdale Valley to Dalegarth. It started life in 1875 as a 3’ gauge railway for the carriage of iron ore and re-gauged in 1915 to 15”. At the present time the operation stock of engines comprises 6 steam and 4 diesel locomotives. The Railway is one of the major tourist attractions in Cumbria, carrying over 100,000 passengers and with a turnover of nearly £2M per annum. The Railway is assisted in its day to day operation by the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society, many members of which volunteer for a wide range of duties.
About the Role
Key responsibilities will be, but are not limited to:
- To provide consistently high standards of visitor care at all times when welcoming visitors to the site; processing ticket and retail sales; answering visitor queries and providing information about the site and local area.
- To be proactive in the selling of merchandise and the promotion of events to achieve targets and increase spend per head.
- To provide the highest possible standards of presentation ensuring all displays, fixtures, fittings and premises are maintained to a high standard of stock levels and cleanliness.
- To keep up to date with and have a sound knowledge of the site, highlighting past present and future events to ensure consistently excellent product knowledge.
- Ensure the security and safety of visitors, staff, volunteers, the premises, stock and cash at all times.
- To respond to complaints; listen to feedback from our visitors and ensure that it is used positively to influence and develop the organisation and its activities.
- To assist in the delivery of events on and off site including set up, stewarding and breakdown.
- To work as part of a wider team across the Railway to deliver organisational objectives.
- To take responsibility for your own personal development and to share your learning with others.
- To undertake any training identified to maintain/enhance the service to visitors. To be an advocate for The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway and to promote the aims of the organisation.
- To uphold and comply with the organisations Policies and the Law in relation to Health & Safety, Financial Regulations, Equal Opportunities, Data Protection and other adopted Policies and Procedures required for the smooth and effective operation of the organisation.
- To undertake other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the status of the post as may be required from time to time.
We are looking for someone who has a genuine passion for customer service and enjoys working as part of a team. You will have excellent communication skills and the ability to manage customer expectations efficiently, be flexible, focused, self-motivated and be effective at time management and organisation. Basic computer knowledge and money handling experience would be an advantage. Some weekend and public holiday working will be required.
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract Contract length: 7 months Part-time hours: 22 per week
- Discounted or free food
- Employee discount
- On-site parking
- Store discount